Best 8 Bitcoin Mining Hardware ASICs for Cryptocurrency Minersin Cryptocurrency, Mining
People are still mining Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies nowadays! Can you imagine that? However, it has become more difficult to mine crypto coins. Why? Some of the issues contributing to this difficulty include:
- Hardware prices. The days of mining using a standard CPU or graphics card are gone. As more people have begun mining, the difficulty of solving the puzzles has too increased. ASIC microchips were developed to process the computations faster and have become necessary to succeed at mining today. These chips can cost $3,000 or more and are guaranteed to further increase in cost with each improvement and update.
- Rise in corporate miners. Hobby miners must now compete with for-profits — and their bigger, better machines — when mining to make a buck.
- Puzzle difficulty. Bitcoin’s protocol adjusts the computational difficulty of the puzzles to finish a block every 2,016 blocks. The more computational power put toward mining, the more difficult the puzzle.
- Power costs. Power in the United States is more expensive than it is in other parts of the world, making it further difficult to compete with big-miner money.
So the main question we have to answer is this: will the small reward you earn from bitcoin mining be enough to offset the cost of power consumed?
Why ASIC chips, you may ask? Well, CPU and GPU mining is already in the past. Let's learn out how it happened.
Evolution of the mining equipment
- CPU mining. In the early days of bitcoin, mining difficulty was low and not a lot of miners were competing for blocks and rewards. This made it worthwhile to use your computer’s own central processing unit (CPU) to mine bitcoin. However, that approach was soon replaced by GPU mining.
- GPU mining. A graphics processing unit (GPU) is a powerful processor whose sole purpose is to assist your computer’s graphics card in rendering 3D graphics. GPUs are not built for executive decisions (like CPUs) but to be very good laborers, hence GPUs are able to execute over 800 times more instructions in the same amount of time as a CPU. Mining is a repetitive process that does not require any intelligent decisions, leading to GPUs replacing CPUs in the mining world.
- FPGA mining. Next came mining with field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs). These greatly outperformed GPUs and CPUs in the mining process as FPGAs are processors that can be programmed to execute specific instructions, and only those instructions (instead of being repurposed for mining, like GPUs were).
- ASIC mining. Similar to FPGAs, application-specific integrated circuits are chips designed for a specific purpose, in our case mining bitcoin, and nothing else. ASICs for bitcoin were introduced in 2013 and, as of November 2017, they are the best processors available for mining bitcoin and they outperform FPGAs in power consumption.
- Mining pools. To offset the difficulty of mining a block, miners started organizing in pools or cloud mining networks. Whenever a miner in one of these pools solves a block, the reward is shared with everyone in the pool in a ratio representative of how much work you put into the pool (even though you personally never solved the puzzle).
- Cloud mining. Clouds offer prospective miners the ability to purchase mining rigs in a remote data center location. There are many obvious advantages, the most obvious being: no electricity costs, no excess heat, and nothing to sell when you decide to hang up your virtual pickaxe.
How to Choose the Best Mining Hardware
There are some important factors to look at when determining which Bitcoin mining ASIC to buy:
- Hash rate – How many hashes per second can the Bitcoin miner make? More hashes cost more, which is why efficiency is crucial. And the higher hash rate the more profitable mining. We already discussed hash rate and its importance in our previous guides, so just click on the links to refresh your memories.
- Efficiency – You’ll probably want to buy the most efficient bitcoin mining hardware possible. Since miners use a large amount of electricity, it worth to buy one that converts the most amount of electricity into bitcoins. However, if you don't have enough money (a few thousands of bucks for a start) it will be better to buy Bitcoin for a long run.
- Power & Miner Price – How much does the bitcoin miner cost? Cheap mining hardware will mine fewer bitcoins, which is why efficiency and electricity usage are important. The fastest and more efficient mining hardware is going to cost more.
Don’t try to buy a miner based on only price or only hash rate. The best ASIC miner is the most efficient bitcoin miner. Aim for value.
Antminer S9 - The Ultimate Bitcoin Miner
Appearance and performance of the ASIC-miner Antmeiner S9:
Miner Bitmain Antminer S9 / T9 is made in the classic for similar devices form factor. Extruded rectangular aluminum case with located coolers on the front and rear panels. This design is very effective because of good ventilation of the device’s working parts. The air channel created in this way excels at accumulating heat, and the minimum number of fans maintains comfortable operating conditions for the miner.
Among other things, on the top of the case is also installed network controller Antmeinera S9 with an available Ethernet interface, an SD card slot, and a pair of light indicators.
Looking inside the device, you can find three parallel installed processor cards, each of them carries chips of the model BM1387, performed on the advanced 16-nanometer process. For effective heat dissipation, each of the boards is equipped with a series of radiators covering each processor on both sides.
– Effective hashing speed: 14 t / s ± 5%;
– Power consumption: 1450W + 7% (at an ambient temperature of 25 ° C);
– Energy efficiency: 0.098 J / Gx + 7%;
– Voltage 11.60V ~ 13.00V;
– Model of chips: BM1387;
– Tech. Process of manufacturing of chips: 16 nm;
– The frequency of the processors by default: auto MHz;
– Cooling: 2 coolers type 12038;
– Operating temperature: 0 to 40 ° C;
– Dimensions: 350mm (length) x 135mm (width) x 158mm (height);
– Network interface: Ethernet.
Purchase cost $2,320 direct, ($2,955 on Amazon), power usage 1372W, hashrate 14TH/s.
Appearance and main technical characteristics:
Asic Antminer S7 has a fairly simple, but very functional design. The computing power of the device is enclosed in a compact aluminum case, where the cooler and the network adapter are placed on the outer part. Elements of the interface on the front panel of the device are a standard Ethernet connector and two information LEDs.
If you look inside the S7 a synchronizer, you will find 3 parallel boards installed vertically and equipped with powerful heat sink radiators. Each of these boards carries a single heatsink on one side and a set of individual processor radiators on the other, and on the top of them is a standard PCI-e power interface. In general, the device bears 135 computing processors, which allows it to work with a hashing speed of 4.73 t / s.
Asic Miner Antminer S7 is the first device from Bitmain, which uses the chips BM1385, which replaced the older BM1384 and have twice the processing power and more economical energy consumption, making them the most energy efficient chips from all presented in today’s market.
The power supply in the device is missing, which for many experienced users will only be a plus, eliminating the need to overpay for existing components.
– Maximum hash: 4.73 t / s ± 5%;
– Power consumption: 1210 W at a load of 93%;
– Power interface: ten 6-pin PCI-E connectors;
– Energy efficiency: 0.25 J / g;
– Power supply voltage: 12V + 5%;
– The model of the processors used: BM1385;
– Tech. process of manufacturing of chips: 28 nm;
– Number of chips: 135 pcs;
– Dimensions of the device: 301mm (in length) * 123mm (width) * 155mm (in height);
– Cooling device: 1 cooler model 12038;
– Operating temperature range of the device: 0 ° C to 40 ° C;
– Certified: FCC / CE;
– Network interface: Ethernet;
– Device weight: 4kg.
Purchase cost $440 direct ($798 on Amazon), power usage 1300W, hashrate 4.7TH/s.
The design of the minicar of the Antminer S5:
To ensure maximum ventilation of the device, its manufacturer found a rather unusual constructive approach, removing the case from the top and bottom panels. At the same time, almost all of the front part of the miner is occupied by a 120-millimeter cooler, and the rear part is almost completely through, which provides a continuous air channel from the fan and through the work boards of the device. This design not only accelerates the cooling of the miner but also provides full access to all network and pow. The cooling system of the Antminer S5 miner, in addition to the cooler, also includes two powerful radiators on the work boards. This approach has made it possible to minimize the noise pollution of the device, making it an ideal solution for home use.
Hardware Antminer S5:
The heart of this miner are two parallel boards, each of which carries 15 chips BM1384, which are manufactured in a 28-nm process. Due to this, the total hashing speed reaches 1155 g / s, and the energy efficiency is at the level of 0.51 J / gh, which again is an indicator in favor of home mining.
The connection of the miner to the network is carried out by means of the network controller already integrated into it, which is installed horizontally above the two work cards.
Each of the boards is equipped with two 6-pin PCI-E power connectors – both connectors must be connected for normal operation of the device.
The power supply is not standard.
– Hashrate: 1155 g / s ± 5%;
– Model of chips: BM1384 of the second generation (30 pcs.);
– Tech. process of manufacturing of chips: 28 nm;
– Network: Ethernet;
– Cooling system: 1 fan model 12038 + 2 radiators on the device’s work boards;
– Power consumption: 590 W;
– Energy-saving: 0.51 J / gh;
– Power interface: four 6-pin PCI-E connectors (only two connections are sufficient for full operation);
– Operating temperature: 0-35 ° C;
– Certified: FCC / CE;
– Overall dimensions: 298mm (long) x 137mm (width) x 155mm (height).
Purchase cost $450 on Amazon.
Appearance and technical characteristics of the Asik-Miner Avalon 6:
The Avalon 6 design is absolutely typical for this class of devices: a compact, elongated aluminum case with a cooler on the front and a radiator grille on the rear. This design is a well-ventilated air channel, providing good cooling to the working elements of the device. When this feature is enabled, the software automatically checks the cooler’s performance and, in the absence of that, does not allow the device to start up, thereby protecting it from overheating and getting the working chips out of order. In addition to the grating, there are also four standard 6-pin power connectors on the rear panel, which must be used for the full operation of the device. The design of the case of this device is collapsible, which will allow you to easily remove the top cover of the apex and get full access to the set of its work boards.
– Hashing speed: 3.65 t / s (+/- 10%);
– Energy efficiency: 270 J / ton * s;
– Input voltage: not less than 11.6 V;
– OS controller: original software from the company Avalon (Based on CGMiner under Ubuntu 14.04);
– Dimensions of the device: 354 mm (Length) x 136 mm (Width) x 150 mm (Height);
– Cooling: cooler 12038 with a minimum frequency of 3800 rpm;
– Network controller: Raspberry Pi (version B or B +);
– Power interface: four standard 6-pin connectors;
– Power: requires an external power supply;
– Nominal power consumption: 990 W;
– Maximum power consumption: 1100 W;
– Weight of the device: 4,2 kg.
Purchase cost $300 on Amazon.
SP20 Jackson 1.7
The design and performance of the SP20 Jackson 1.7 TH / S miner:
Structurally, the device SP20 Jackson 1.7 TH / S turned out to be quite compact and is an elongated box of regular rectangular shape. In the walls of the case are two cards, each of which places four chips on itself. The chips are staggered, which ensures a uniform heat dissipation from all radiators. Behind the front wall of the case there is one single cooler with a diameter of blades of 120 mm and powerful enough to provide the necessary temperature regime of the device. Speaking of the chips themselves, this is Spondoolies-Tech RockerBox Asik, manufactured using 28nm technology, together providing a hash speed of 1.7 t / s.
As for power, the Miner Jackson SP20 requires a stable power source. For example, you can use two 750W power supplies.
SP90 Jackson bitcoin mining hardware may be not profitable enough. Even though it is much cheaper than other bitcoin mining hardware, it is way less efficient. The temperature should be lower than 350C.
– Effective hashing speed: 1.7x / s ± 10% (Each chip provides a speed of 200 g / s);
– Dimensions of the device: Length – 382 mm, Width – 110 mm, Height – 137 mm;
– Controller: TI Sitara 1GHz (based on Beagle Bone Black);
– Used software: CGminer with custom plugins;
– Cooling: 1 cooler with a blade diameter of 120 mm;
– Nominal power consumption: 1200 W;
– ATX PCIe power interface – 4 pcs .;
– Network interface – 10/100 Ethernet port – 1pc .;
– Noise level: 51 dB;
– Operating temperature: ~ 35 ° C.
– The scope of delivery includes: SP20 Jackson 1.7 TH / S miner – 1 pc.
Purchase cost $399 on Amazon.
Technical characteristics and ergonomics of the device:
Externally, the AntMiner R4 miner is very different from all its existing counterparts. In the process of designing the hull of this device, the designers rethought the classic cooling system of similar devices and built in a unique fan like those used in home air conditioners. Thus, they managed to achieve an incredibly quiet operation of the device with its highly efficient cooling. Thus, the case itself is completely aluminum and consists of two combined parts where the first is blown through and accommodates the fan, and the second contains two device work plates and a control controller. On the front panel of the miner, there is an Ethernet connector, a power button, and two LED indicators.
Looking inside the AntMiner R4, you’ll find two parallel boards, which in total carry 126 revolutionary chips BM1387, developed on 16-nm technology.
As a controller, this device uses a specially designed board on the dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 processor of the Xilinx’s ZYNQ-7000 family.
Since the engineers, AntMiner focused on the comfortable home use of the device and achieved two more quiet work itself miner. In addition, given the small dimensions of this particular, it can easily be installed on the shelf of your computer desk or in any other secluded place without taking up additional space.
Hashrate: 8.6 t / s (can vary in 5% range);
Power consumption: 845 W;
Energy efficiency: 0.1 J / G;
Noise level: 52dB (at an ambient temperature of 35 ° C);
Processor model: BM1387;
Number of processors: 126;
The voltage is 11.60 ~ 13.00V;
Overall dimensions of the device: 515mm (length) x 100mm (width) x 222mm (height);
Network interface: Ethernet;
The default operating frequency is 600 MHz.
Purchase cost $3099.00 on Amazon.
Technical characteristics and ergonomics of the device:
BitMain has released their first X11 ASIC miner for DASH and the initial batch was sold out in no time. It is no wonder as the specifications of the device claim 15 GHS X11 hashrate for 1200W of power usage, essentially killing all other competition currently on the market offering X11 ASIC miners.
The hashing algorithm is: X-11 (DASH);
Hashedrate: 15 GH / s ± 5%;
Process technology: 16nm;
Network interface: Ethernet;
Cooling: 2 fans 12038
Power consumption: 1200W;
Voltage: 11.60 ~ 13.00V;
Power supply: included;
Overall dimensions of the device: 320mm (length) x 130mm (width) x 190mm (height);
Weight: 5.5 kg;
Purchase cost $749.00 on Amazon.
Technical characteristics and appearance:
One of the advantages of the new Antminer is its compact design. Despite the fact that at the moment this device by its power will give odds to many other devices-miners, it does not take up much space. The form factor of this Antmeiner in terms of performance is close to the mega-popular Antminer S9.
The dimensions of L3 +, which do not exceed the dimensions of a conventional portable tape recorder, will allow using this script-miner both at home and as a component of the farm for the production of crypto-currency.
The case of the Antminer L3 + is made of first-class aluminum alloy. From excessive overheating it reliably protects special radiators from the same material with which all the chips of the miner are equipped. An additional measure of heat control is two fans located at both ends of the device. They are controlled from the computer and ensure the timely replacement of hot air cool in those areas where it is needed.
In the L3 + model, the developers used combined cooling, which involved the mechanisms of convection and thermal conductivity. As a result, this Antmeiner produces no more heat than the last-generation 1+ t/s asics.
Features of the filling:
Antminer L3 + boasts 288 chips BM 1485, which is twice as much as in its predecessor L3. In the development of BM 1485 specialists are involved, which are engaged in the production of the most energy-efficient microcircuits for equipment for bitcoins mining. The increase in the number of chips naturally leads to the fact that the indicator of the hash of this miner exceeds the analogous parameter of any other earner of the Litecoin currency.
The “electronic brain” of the miner is the AM335x microprocessor based on the ARM Cortex-A8 with a frequency of 1 GHz (the manufacturer-Texas Instruments). The control panel of the ASIC device supports gigabit Ethernet, which facilitates the instant transmission of the extracted blocks.
What is more useful distinguishes this asik-miner from similar devices, so it’s convenience in operation. After the user receives access to the interface of the device, it will be required to specify the address of the electronic purse and adjust the settings of the pool. The user is also given the opportunity to individually set individual parameters and upgrade the software.
– Hashing speed: 504 Mh / s, there is a deviation of plus or minus 5%;
– Power consumption: 800 W + 10% (near the wall, with the power supply from the company “Bitmain” APW3, productivity 93%, external temperature is 25 ° C);
– Efficiency: 1.6 J / Mx + 10% (near the wall, with a power supply from the company BitMain APW3, productivity 93%, external temperature is 25 ° C);
– Hash function algorithm – scrypt;
– Type of chip: chip BM 1485 Asik;
– Input voltage of direct current: 11.60 ~ 13.00 V;
– Product dimensions: 352 mm (d) x 130 mm (w) x 187.5 mm (in);
– Number of chips: 288 on four hash cards (72 chips each);
– Application temperature: 0 ° C to 40 ° C;
– Network connection: Ethernet;
– Weight of the device: 4.4 kg;
– Noise support: 75 decibels.
Purchase cost $1679.29 on Amazon.
How to set hardware profitability
You could have read all the descriptions and specifications above and still unsure which one to buy because it would be better if you knew what income you have. You can use a bitcoin mining profitability calculator to determine your estimated cost of return on your mining hardware. Depending on the calculator, you just fill the hashing rate/speed parameters from the specifications section above, electricity cost in your region, power consumption and/or pool fee. Let's take Antminer S9 specification as an example.
Here I gathered a short list of Bitcoin Mining Profit Calculator for you:
Bitcoin Mining Hardware Companies
Halong Mining – Halong Mining is the newest mining hardware company. They have the best miner available. Unfortunately, they already sold out of their first batch but a new batch should be available for sale soon.
Bitmain – Bitmain makes the Antminer line of Bitcoin miners. Bitmain is based in China and also operates a mining pool.
BitFury – BitFury is one of the largest producers of Bitcoin mining hardware and chips. Its hardware is not available for purchase.
Bitcoin Mining Equipment
In addition to a Bitcoin mining ASIC, you’ll need some other Bitcoin mining equipment:
Power Supply – Bitcoin rigs need special power supplies to funnel and use electricity efficiently.
Cooling Fans – Bitcoin hardware can easily overheat and stop working. Buy a sufficient amount of cooling fans to keep your hardware working.
Thanks to bitcoin mining, we get to enjoy the privileges of the cryptocurrency. If you want to join the team of bitcoin creators, there’re a number of ways of doing it. We hope this article has given you a better idea about bitcoin mining. If you want to know how to mine cryptocurrency without any equipment, click here. Thank you and you’re welcome to check our other articles to learn more about cryptocurrencies.
Click "Like" to get the Latest cryptocurrency guides on Facebook!